Open Enrollment for current TEXSAR – GSAR 1 Technicians
Instructors: Wesley Meyer, Master Instructor,
Class size: Limited to 24
Preregistration Required: (10% late fee less than 14 days before class)
COURSE DESCRIPTION: 18 hour course covering management of multiple teams, multiple search areas, coordinating agencies, assignments, correlation of information and tracking searched areas, LAST, Rescue – Evacuation – Recovery, Pre plan, size up, PLS / POD, Passive and Active search, Interview, Quick Searches, Boundry / perimeter establishment, Detail search, Interviewing witness or victims.
COURSE FORMAT: The GSAR 2 course is normally taught in a two day / 1 night training sessions.
Day 1 AM is lectures 0800-1200
Day 1 PM is technical skills 1300-1700
Day 1 Night training begins a dusk and usually takes 2 .5 – 3 hours.
Day 2 is tech skills all day 0800-1200 and 1300 – 1700
The person completing this course will have the knowledge and skills to function as a search team leader.
- Current GSAR 1 required
- This course is a prerequisite for GSAR 3
STANDARDS: This course meets and exceeds Industry Standards and NFPA 1006 chapter 16, requirements. To completely meet all NFPA requirements the Technician would need to attend the GSAR 1, 2, 3 and Wilderness Survival 1.
PPE: Each student is required to provide their own Personal Protective Gear:
- Hiking or duty boots with ankle support
- Clothing appropriate for training site (NO SHORTS)
- Headlight and hand held lights for night training
- Hiking stick
- Map Compass (Example – Stansport Deluxe @ Wal Mart $6.10)
- 24 hr. SAR Pack (Sample list available from RTI) including hydration system or water bottles
- trail mix or snacks for field work.
Additional course information will be emailed to each student registered.